Friday 5 March 2010

What learning style am I?

I've taken several of these tests, and have just taken this one [link] because our styles can change as we get older. Apparently I am a combination of visual and kinesthetic, more emphasis on the visual aspect.

Here is a breakdown of the two styles:



Visual Learners

  • take numerous detailed notes
  • tend to sit in the front
  • are usually neat and clean
  • often close their eyes to visualize or remember something
  • find something to watch if they are bored
  • like to see what they are learning
  • benefit from illustrations and presentations that use color
  • are attracted to written or spoken language rich in imagery
  • prefer stimuli to be isolated from auditory and kinesthetic distraction
  • find passive surroundings ideal


Kinesthetic Learners
  • need to be active and take frequent breaks
  • speak with their hands and with gestures
  • remember what was done, but have difficulty recalling what was said or seen
  • find reasons to tinker or move when bored
  • rely on what they can directly experience or perform
  • activities such as cooking, construction, engineering and art help them perceive and learn
  • enjoy field trips and tasks that involve manipulating materials
  • sit near the door or someplace else where they can easily get up and move around
  • are uncomfortable in classrooms where they lack opportunities for hands-on experience
  • communicate by touching and appreciate physically expressed encouragement, such as a pat on the back
You can find the three learning styles here [link]. I think that these aspects both describe me really well. I often find myself becoming bored and fidgeting, I get frustrated and decide to bake or play with something creative and get bored stiff when I cannot get hands-on on any kind of project. I feel like I've failed if I haven't got a physical element to one of my projects.
Also, I'm forever creating lists and I'm exceptionally tidy and cannot work when the place is a mess, I especially like "this" - the blog - for visually demonstrating my thoughts easily, and they're all linked in one place.

I think this has been productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter comment here..