Friday 5 March 2010

Fat: The visuals

I have been collecting the fat from the foods I have been cooking for the past two days now, and this is the result so far:

The container has fat that was released from the food whilst in the cooking process. I then poured it into this container and left to set. Hopefully I will leave this for a week, and by next wednesday will have a substantial amount to work with in other potential experiments.

In the meantime I found another form of 'fat' to work with - the oil used in the deep fat fryers in restaurants. I asked if I would be able to use their discarded, used, oil/ fat for my University project and they let me have the two containers below:




The trouble with this form of fat is that it is in liquid form, so as you can see in the picture below, I have decanted a small amount into a container (with a lid) and placed it in the freezer. I will find out whether this helps to solidify the substance in the morning, or in a couple of days.



Then I guess I will need to see how the substance reacts when left in a room at normal temperature, I could play around with this and show the fat 'melting' off of the Barbie at room temperature in a short film - or something.

If not then I will dip some clothes or material in the substance, soak them and monitor, then Hang on a 'clothes line' and see what happens with this experiment as it's being conducted.

I have another idea for an alternative fat substance to mould with which is quite light in colour; Lard. Animal fat may have a translucent property so that I could silhouette the desirable figure underneath; much like that of the silicone casing around a Wii Remote:

Above: Remote and silicone casing



Above: Wii remote inside casing with light shining behind
- Showing translucent properties


No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter comment here..