Thursday 18 March 2010

Amy had some fun!

I've learnt two new photoshop tricks / tools, one being size distortion using photoshop, and the other.. Peeling skin, I'm learning another, more advanced peeling tutorial now...

But here are the examples I've played with so far!


I started off trying to think of how I could show body image in an advertising format.. And something that hasn't already been done...

I thought about healthy foods, and apples popped into my head, the bite mark someone leaves in an apple was the perfect shape for the above picture, where i have been 'eaten away' via eating disorders.. 
Obviously this is only a test piece and the image isn't perfect, captions would be added etc.

I then moved onto body size, and how I could incorporate body dismorphia / body shapes (apple, pear, column, hourglass etc) into an image without the generic woman staring into a mirror... Blahblah.. 



So, as you can see I experimented with different sizes in photoshop using a tool that every image editor will use on women before putting them into the medias spotlight. I took a picture of me, and changed my body shape to extremities, and it's really shocking how things can look so different!! I want to use this in some way - it was fun too!!!



Moving on, I was looking for more 'apple bites' and stumbled across this beauty. The skin has been peeled back in one go (VERY HARD TO DO! lol) revealing an inside layer to the apple. I investigated this 'peeling' technique and found a few tutorials on it, the first being for a lightbulb and second for a hand - but I only tried the lightbulb..



The effects are pretty coool if i do say so myself! Shockingly executed, but then again, it was only my first attempt. Feeling pretty confident with myself I attempted one of my own, so I dug out the Barbie, took pictures of her again and started photoshopping away..

Here are my results!


Above:
First image: Original picture, second image: Partially edited picture, third image: Apple inside the layers to show what I'm attempting to do next.


The next stages:

- I'm hoping to somehow include a slightly shocking / disturbing / thought provoking element within the inside of the barbie. I'm going to try a skeleton and other stuff.. See what I like best!

- Attempt another, more advanced peeling tutorial and more improvisations of its use.

- Try a 'breaking away' effect on a human body, possibly with the aid of some tutorials first, with insides visible maybe?

- Attempt some more images of different sizing..

- Ask Robin tomorrow about modelling silicone head 'mask' to place over a mannequin head (easily acquirable), then I'll peel back the skin (silicone) to reveal something not so nice underneath? A bit like this image, but... not. If you get my drift!



Summary of workings currently:

I think I've found what I'm going to potentially show at the end of the year, and I'm really quite excited about it. I've got the UMPH back in the project again, finally!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter comment here..